Of ramblings

'Twas a day like any other.Our mid-semester exams had just finished and we were whiling away our time at McD. Over a cup of coffee, the discussion turned to a very routine topic of our lives and yet there was something ethereal about it that got me thinking.

What are dreams exactly ? I'm not talking about the dreams in our hearts but those of our minds; the fuzzy images bordering on the realm of realism. Are they simply related to our thoughts at the time of sleeping ? Or is our subconscious the sole reason for their existence ?

Some people believe that dreams, at times, act as a precognition ; a flash of the future. But how does our mind know something that has not even happened yet ? If that be the case, it means that the future is so fixed and unchangeable that each moment, whether past, present or future is etched in our subconscious. And what is our subconscious exactly ?
There's a line by Shakespeare (in a very different context) that always comes to my mind when I think of such stuff. It goes :

"I've had a dream past the wit of man to say what it was."

It's one of my favourite lines and I end up interpreting it in a very different way.
Suppose we could find out the exact answers for the 'what , how and why' of dreams but what is the guarantee that our thinking process itself isn't flawed ? Our mind is the focal point of our dreams and we are using that very mind to explain them. So we can never look at this problem from an outside perspective. Our subconscious will never be isolated from our thought process and therein lies the flaw.

Indeed our thinking ability, our perception , our imagination; all is confined by the entity responsible for it i.e. everything we see or hear or feel is limited by our mind. How can we ever gauge its inherent nature if we can never escape it? Its like trying to measure the length of a ribbon using the ribbon itself.
And such an immeasurable mind and subconscious contains the A-Z of our lives, even our predetermined future.

Someone has rightly said, "The world is but the size of each man's head. "

That's some more food for thought. Or maybe not ; because if my thinking is bounded by my mind, then so is this viewpoint, which makes this all a moot point !

Hmm...I wonder if my writing this post was also a planned event, duly dictated by my subconscious....

Comments

Popular Posts